Saturday, September 03, 2005

In Memory of Darrell Campbell

I know this is supposed to be a blog about The BackUp Band, but today I awoke to the news that my good friend, Darrell Campbell, had passed away at the age of 50 after a long battle with various health issues.

Darrell was kind and loving. He cared most about his wife Virginia, his family and his friends. He was a great lead singer and charismatic frontman of our band, Northstar, back in college at Kent State University in 1977 and 1978.

After college, I had lost contact with members of Northstar until my drummer, Mike Conwell, located me on the internet in the late 90's. Thanks to Mike, I have enjoyed great friendships that at one time seemed lost.

I hadn't seen or spoken to Northstar trumpeter, arranger and band leader, Dan McCarthy in 15 years. This morning he called to reminisce about the great memories of Darrell and the band. It was great talking to Dan; its just a shame that it took the loss of a friend to bring us back in touch. Darrell was always good at bringing people together.

Even with his declining health, his attitude was great. Darrell was always coming up with ideas for future musical projects and shows.

I was lucky to know Darrell. I will hold on to all the great memories. I can barely think to write this, and my words don't even come close to doing him justice. I already miss you, Darrell.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of a good friend
and musician.

7:44 AM, September 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith,
I know Darrell will always be alive as long as you keep his memory and the happy times in your heart.
-Leah

11:21 AM, September 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home